Abu Dhabi Quality and Conformity Council (QCC) has established the Emirates Metrology Institute (EMI) to provide an efficient infrastructure for the scientific study of measurement.
The strategic objective behind this project is to provide standardized measuring references in the emirate to ensure accuracy in the various measurement tools. This is a main technical requirement of industries, which in addition, helps strengthen competitiveness, promote trust in our economy, and benefit from openness to international markets.
The Institute's services were launched in January 2014 operating 10 major metrology laboratories. The facilities include laboratories for: electricity, timing, and frequency, pressure and strength, heat and humidity, dimensions, and mass, volume and flow.
In December 2014, following a field assessment carried out by evaluators at the Turkish Institute of Metrology (UME), the board of Directors of ESMA authorized the Emirates Institute of Metrology to carry out the functions of the National Institute of Metrology (NMI). Therefore, the measuring criteria maintained by the Institute have been recognized as national measurement standards.
The Institute is considered the National Institute of Measurement in the UAE and performs the following tasks:
- Establish a national reference for different measuring units and maintain national measurement standards
- Join the mutual recognition agreement with the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM-MRA).
- Represent the state and participate in technical committees specialized in organizations at regional and international levels.
- Provide measurement and calibration services for measuring devices and instruments.
- Provide training programs and consultancy services to government and the private sector.
- Facilitate and achieve international recognition of measurement capabilities in the UAE
- Carry out scientific and applied research and studies to support industrial and innovation projects in the country. To enable research activities through collaboration with scientific research centers, universities and academic institutions.
- Cooperate with organizations working in the field of quality infrastructure in the UAE, Emirates Metrology Institute currently provides the following services:
- Calibration services
- Training services
- Consultancy services
- Proficiency testing services
- Scientific research and studies services